Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a good recipe. i love cabbage and beef so i founded a recipe in a cookbook that i was looking through this morning and found this and tried it and it is so good. the cookbook is the good food cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 cups grated cabbage (use medium grater)
- 3⁄4 grated raw carrot (use medium grater)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat butter in large sauce pan. add onion and cook gently until tender, about 5 mionutes. add meat and cook and stir until all redness disappears. add cabbage, carrot, salt, pepper, mace, worcestershire sauce and water. cover and simmer 15 minutes. uncover and continue cooking until all excess liquid cooks away. meat should be moist but not wet. cool.
- heat oven to 425 f
- roll pastry very thin into oblongs or squares (roll 1/2 at a time) and cut into 6-ince (15-cm) squares. you should be able to make 18 squares so be sure to roll very thin.
- lay the pastry squares out on the counter and top each one with 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the meat mixture. moisten 2 adjacent edges of the square with water and fold pastry over to form a triangle, pressing together along edges wtih the tines of a fork. put on large cookie sheets. beat egg yolk and water together an dbrush over tops of turnover (not on edges).
- bake 25 to 30 minutes or until very well browned. serve hot.