Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Trying to use the surplus of cabbage from my garden, this hearty stew was delicious even in the hot summertime. Has a sweet-sour flavored broth.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, let the oil get warm.
- Brown the stew meat on all sides for about 6 minutes.
- Add in the next 8 ingredients; stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- ADd in the cabbage and raisins and let simmer, uncovered, for 30 more minutes.