Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Eat these little goodies plain or cover in brown gravy. Either way, they are a delicious way to serve cabbage. Prep time includes rest time for the dough.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make buns.
- Combine 1/2 cup flour and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Heat together milk, oil, sugar and salt just until warm.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Beat at low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides constantly.
- Beat 3 minutes more on high speed.
- Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough, about 7 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Make filling while dough rises.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into 12 balls.
- Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll each ball of dough to a 3 inch round.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each round.
- Bring edges up around the filling until edges just meet.
- Pinch to seal in the center, forming a small ball.
- Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Place boiling water 1/2 inch below steamer rack.
- Lightly grease steamer rack or line with cabbage leaves so buns don't stick.
- Place buns, seam side down, on steamer rack so sides don't touch.
- Do not allow to rise.
- (if all buns won't fit, refrigerate some while others steam) Place rack over boiling water.
- Cover and steam buns for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- To make filling.
- Cook beef, onion, garlic salt and pepper sauce over med-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, breaking meat into small pieces.
- Drain off fat throughly.
- Place cabbage over meat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon water.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until cabbage is done.
- Stir remaining 2 Tablespoon water into flour.
- Stir into meat and cabbage mixture.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Cool slightly.