Recipe by Somervillecooks
I played with this I love Lo-Mein and I like cabbage this is my own mix on a meat and vegtable Lo-Mein. You can add carrots and more spice to you taste.
Top Review by xpnsve
I absolutely love lo mein and am craving it right now because I am low-carbing, so I thought I'd give this a whirl. I made a few modifications and the flavor was spot on! I subbed mirin (japanese rice wine) for the red wine (personal preference), omitted all the veggies except green onions (again, personal preference) added a splash of rice wine vinegar; I upped the red pepper flakes to 1 1/2 tsp. (I like spicy) and I used Dreamfield's Low Carb pasta in place of the fettuccine as mentioned in the directions. I did have one question: you did not mention how much oil or what kind of oil to use in the pan; I used 2 tbsp of canola oil. The flavors melded together nicely and this satisfied my lo mein cravings without sabotaging my diet efforts :) Thanks for posting!!
- 1 lb lean beef (london broil or your choice)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup julienned sliced onion
- 1 cup julienned sliced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice choice of beef in 2 inch thin slices across the grain and set aside. Cook fettucinne according to instructions less about 3 minutes, strain,rinse and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the beef broth, soy sauce, wine, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. add meat toss and set aside for approximately 5 minutes Prepare your julienned sliced vegtables and cabbage.
- With slotted spoon now remove your marinated meat.
- In a nonstick skillet or wok heat on med high heat add your oil and half of your chopped garlic stir around for 30 seconds and add meat cook until about 6 to 8 minutes Add all vegtables, the rest of the chopped garlic and stir fry about 5 minutes then add your fettuccine stir around to well mix with vegtables.
- Add your liquid with spices mix well until hot (mix corn starch and water stir until blended) put in pot and stir around until thickened.
- Garnished with chopped green onoins.