Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 lb beef, Ground
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Chopped, 1 Md.
- 1⁄2 cup celery, Thinly Sliced
- 2 cups cabbage, Shredded
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, Chopped
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard, Prepared
- 8 hamburger buns (Hamburger buns should be split and toasted.)
- Cook and stir the meat, onion and celery in a large skillet until the meat is brown.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the cabbage, green pepper, catsup, water, salt, and mustard and heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture onto the bottom halves of the buns and top with the remaining halves.
- NOTE: For Sloppy Joes, omit the cabbage and salt.
Delicious, nutritious and quick...everything I was looking for on a hot summer day. I dumped the onion, celery, chunks of cabbage and peppers in my food processor; gave it some quick pulses to coarsely chop all of the vegetables and that worked great, making it even quicker. I added those vegetables to the ground beef when the meat was partially cooked. We'll certainly have it again.
This would be good served over rice for a change of pace, instead of with the buns.