Recipe by heatherhopecs
Inspired by a recipe from paleotable.com. I plan to serve this w/ some sauteed okra.
Top Review by MissAli
This was so savory and delicious! I added some cauliflower that I intended to rice as a side dish, because I thought the flavors would blend well and I was feeling lazy. It worked out beautifully. Next time, I think I will add some almonds or cashews and possibly some golden raisins to make it a little more authentic. But the spices were spot-on and it was yummy without the nuts and fruit. Thanks for a great grain-free dish that even my kids loved!
- 2 lbs beef roast, cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cubed meat in a large bowl.
- Combine spices in a small bowl.
- Pour spices and oil over beef and stir to thoroughly coat meat with spices.
- Combine onion, garlic, and beef in crock pot.
- Pour tomatoes over mixture.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir in squash and increase heat to high. Cook for about 90 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Taste mixture and add more salt and crushed red pepper, as needed.
- Stir in cilatro and serve in shallow plates or bowls.