Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Southern Living.
Make and share this Beef and Butternut Squash Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1⁄2 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Cook beef, bell pepper, and next 2 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until meat crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Drain well, and return to Dutch oven.
- Stir in tomatoes and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in corn, and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili is thickened.
this was a realy good chili, with good flavor. The only thing I had a problem with was the squash. It needed way more time to cook and get tender than 30 minutes. Myhusband and I finally just ate it and picked out the squash and left it to keep simmering on the stove. It did eventually cook through and it was good.