Beef and Broccoli is a favorite of mine. It's important to take your time, mix well and marinate for the full 3 hours. You wont be sorry!
- 3⁄4 lb beef, cut into very thin strips, pencil thin and no longer that 2 inches in length
- 3 cups broccoli florets, bite sized
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (not lite)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium mixing bowl add together the beef strips and soy sauce.
- Mix to be sure all the beef is coated.
- Add the sugar and pepper, stirring for 3 minutes to be sure each piece is evenly coated and sugar is dissolving.
- Add the whipped egg white and slowly stir in the cornstarch, again stirring for 3 minutes to make sure the beef is evenly coated.
- You DO NOT want to see any sugar or cornstarch.
- Cover and let stand in the fridge for 3 hours, stirring well after 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Bring a wok to medium high heat.
- Par boil the broccoli for 1 minute.
- Drain in colander in sink.
- Add 2 T. oil and garlic to wok and quickly"mush" around.
- Stir fry the broccoli until tender crisp, around 5-6 minutes tops.
- Remove broccoli to a bowl.
- Add the remaining oil if needed and stir fry the meat until just under done.
- Return broccoli to wok and stir.
- Add the sherry and oyster sauce.
- Stir fry for 1 minute making sure broccoli and beef is thoroughly coated with sauce.
- Serve over hot white rice.