Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe came from The "Complete Canadian Living Cookbook" where the recipes are tried till perfect before publishing. This is a quick and easy recipe that you can use chicken or pork instead of beef. Sometimes I add red & green peppers, cauliflower, along with the broccoli.
- 8 ounces top sirloin steaks
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- SAUCE: In bowl whisk together stock, hoisin, oyster and soy sauces, cornstarch, vinegar, sesame oil and chili paste. Set aside.
- Cut beef across the grain into thin strips.
- Toss with cornstarch.
- In wok or large deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over high heat; stir-fry beef for 3 minutes or until browned but still pink inside.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Add remaining oil to wok; stir-fry onion, garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and steam for about 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Pour in sauce, stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Stir in beef and any accumulated juices; stir-fry for 1 minute Serve with Chinese noodles or rice.
We made this tonight for dinner exactly as directed and it was amazing! Everyone liked it. The only thing I would do differently next time is cut back a little on the cornstarch in the sauce. It got really thick, really fast. Also, if you aren't a big fan of garlic, which we are, you might find it leaves a strong aftertaste of garlic for some reason. We'll definitely be making this again though! Thank you Heather!
I made this recipe as written and we did NOT like the sauce combination. My kids wouldn't touch it and my husband and I felt it was too sweet. It had a really "off" flavor.