Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I learned to cook this recipe from Stephen Yan many years ago. He was famous for his Television Shows -WOK WITH YAN.
Top Review by momtallica
great recipe. great flavours. I may have used slightly different amounts of things as I used it as a guide but worked out great, it disappeared very quickly at the dinner table. I remember Wok with Yan as a kid on TV.
- 1⁄2 lb beef flank steak, sliced thinly across grain
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, broken into florets and then sliced in half
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, mix together soy sauce, pepper, Sambal Oelek, sesame oil and corn starch.
- Add sliced beef, coat well and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a WOK, heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil until smoke begins to rise.
- Add broccoli florets and salt, stir well.
- Now add 1/2 cup of water, cover with a lid and cook on high heat for 3 - 4 minutes or until steam starts to escape from the edge of the lid.
- Remove broccoli and any liquid to a bowl.
- Reheat WOK to high heat, add the remainder 2 tablespoons of peanut oil.
- When hot, add garlic and brown for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add sliced beef and marinade and stir-fry until the color of meat changes, about 1 minute.
- Return broccoli and liquid to the Wok and mix; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Serve hot.