Recipe by Para_chan
I got this recipe from my mom. It's much better than takeout, IMO, since it's not as greasy and doesn't hurt my stomach. It tastes just like it though.
Top Review by ABCgirl
The flavour is a 5, but there were so many inconsistencies between the written ingredients and the directions I feel I can only give it a 4. However, if it is corrected I will definitely change it to a five. And I will make it again. The recipe ingredients call for 1 TBSP of sugar but only 1 tsp in the directions, a 1/4 cup of chicken broth but 1/2 cup in the directions, 1 TBSP soya sauce but 1 tsp in the directions and 8TBSP veg. oil but I can only see directions for 6 TBSP. I did end up using only 3 TBSP, which I am sure will decrease the fat content under the nutritional facts (which is probably a good thing). I also added Hokkien style oriental noodles to the sauce instead of using rice and it turned out really well. I also used a better cut of steak and cut it thinly when it was defrosting.
- 8 medium dried black mushrooms
- 1 lb beef flank steak (or skirt steak)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (light or dark)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli
- 2 green onions or 2 scallions
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (or cold water)
- 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce (you can just use soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain. Rinse in warm water, drain. Remove and discard stems. Cut caps into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Trim fat from beef. Cut grain-wise into 2 inch strips. Cut the strips across the grain into 1/8 inch strips.
- Toss the strips with: 3 T vegetable oil, 1 T cornstarch, 1 T salt, 1 T sugar, 1 T soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp white pepper in plastic or glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut broccoli into 1 inch pieces. Steam broccoli. Cook to al dente. When done, rinse under cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Cut green onions into 1/4 inch rings. Mix together in a bowl green onions, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup oyster (or soy) sauce, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water bubble and skitter when sprinkled into wok. (Or if you're using a skillet, put on medium-high heat.) Add 2 tablespoons oil and rotate to coat wok. (Skillet-1 tablespoon and coat bottom of pan).
- Add beef and garlic (mix the garlic with the beef first to prevent burning it). Stir-fry until beef is brown-about 3 minutes.
- Remove beef from wok (or skillet). Set aside.
- Add mushrooms and broccoli with 1 cup water. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beef. Heat to steaming.
- Stir in Sauce Mixture. Cook and stir until thickened, about 15 seconds.
- Serve over rice.