1/3 Photos of Beef and Broccoli
I got this recipe from my mom. It's much better than takeout, IMO, since it's not as greasy and doesn't hurt my stomach. It tastes just like it though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium dried black mushrooms
- 1 lb beef flank steak (or skirt steak)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (light or dark)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli
- 2 green onions or 2 scallions
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or cold water)
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce (you can just use soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain. Rinse in warm water, drain. Remove and discard stems. Cut caps into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 2Trim fat from beef. Cut grain-wise into 2 inch strips. Cut the strips across the grain into 1/8 inch strips.
- 3Toss the strips with: 3 T vegetable oil, 1 T cornstarch, 1 T salt, 1 T sugar, 1 T soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp white pepper in plastic or glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- 4Cut broccoli into 1 inch pieces. Steam broccoli. Cook to al dente. When done, rinse under cold water and drain. Set aside.
- 5Cut green onions into 1/4 inch rings. Mix together in a bowl green onions, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup oyster (or soy) sauce, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Set aside.
- 6Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water bubble and skitter when sprinkled into wok. (Or if you're using a skillet, put on medium-high heat.) Add 2 tablespoons oil and rotate to coat wok. (Skillet-1 tablespoon and coat bottom of pan).
- 7Add beef and garlic (mix the garlic with the beef first to prevent burning it). Stir-fry until beef is brown-about 3 minutes.
- 8Remove beef from wok (or skillet). Set aside.
- 9Add mushrooms and broccoli with 1 cup water. Cover for 5 minutes.
- 10Stir in beef. Heat to steaming.
- 11Stir in Sauce Mixture. Cook and stir until thickened, about 15 seconds.
- 12Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 2062.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 25.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried black mushrooms