Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
- 1 lb boneless beef round steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 4 ounces uncooked spicy bratwursts or 4 ounces other sausage, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and seperated into rings
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canchunky tomatoes, with garlic and spices, undrained
- 2 cups hot cooked noodles or 2 cups cooked rice
- Trim fat from beef,Cut into 4 serving size pieces.
- In a large skillet brown beef and bratwurst on all sides in hot oil.
- Drain off fat.
- In a 3-4 qt crock pot place the onion,sprinkle with tapioca,thyme,saltand pepper.
- Pour undrained tomatoes over onion in cooker.
- Add beef and bratwurst.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours.
- Serve with noodles or rice.
I found this recipe for someone who liked it, I finally tried it this weekend, and I am not a great cook. I bought dried thyme for the dish, and when I got it home it was empty (true) so I substituted some spice mix for that, and did everything else per the recipe. After many many hours I checked out a piece of the round steak and while impressed with the tenderness, thought that the meat was dry. I turned it off and when I got home from work turned it on again. I really like this recipe, but I think the round steak is its downfall. I had round steak at an upscale grocery takeout as Swiss steak and although the croc pot meat was more tender it still has a meat flavor of just meat. I liked the sausage part of the recipe; I will probably try something like stew meat. For noodles I tried orzo I thought that was an interesting, I am going to use them more.