1/1 Photo of Beef and Beer Stew With Root Vegetables
2 hrs 15 mins
A great wintertime comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, chuck, shoulder or 2 lbs bottom round steaks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1 quart beef broth, hot
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup celery, peeled and diced
- 1 cup rutabaga, peeled and diced (wax turnips)
- 1 cup parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1Season the beef with salt and pepper. Tie the bay leaves, thyme and rosemary into a sachet garni in cheesecloth. In a large casserole combine the oil and butter and heat until the butter bubbles.
- 2Add the beef in one flat and not too tightly packed layer and sear well on all sides.
- 3Remove the beef, set aside and add the onions to the casserole and cook to a golden caramelized color. Sprinkle the onions with the flour and stir to combine well.
- 4Return the beef to the casserole, add the beer, hot broth, herb sachet garni, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a slow simmer. Cook for 45 min to 1 hour.
- 5Add the carrots, celery, rutabaga and parsnips and continue to cook for 1 additional hour.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Beer Stew With Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.7
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 1162.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: