1/2 Photos of Beef and Beer Stew
3 hrs 30 mins
A recipe from Ricardo posted for ZWT8
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 440 ml Guinness stout
- 1 1/2 cups beef or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1/2 cup diced prune
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 165 °C (325 °F).
- 2In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the meat in the butter and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Keep the meat aside on a plate.
- 3In the same pan, brown the onion. Add oil, if needed. Sprinkle with the flour and stir to combine. Deglaze with the beer and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 4Return the meat to the pan. Add the broth, turnips, and carrots and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 2 hours. Add the potatoes and prunes and stir to combine.
- 5Cover and cook for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are cooked and the meat is fork-tender. Add the parsley and adjust the seasoning. If desired, serve with sour cream. ??.
- 6Tips: The classic "Irish Stew" was originally prepared with mutton, root vegetables, and water. After the great famine of 1845 and the emigration of a portion of the population, the dish evolved and includes ingredients easier to find in their new land, such as beef. Finally, we replaced the water with Guinness, the flagship beer of the Irish culture. For this recipe, you can substitute it with the beer of your choice.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Beer Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1236.2
- Calories from Fat 521
- Total Fat 57.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 165.9 mg
- Sodium 258.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 44.9 g