- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (such as Budweiser)
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, sugar, and salt; cook 1 minute.
- Add oregano and next 4 ingredients (through beer) to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in cornmeal; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in juice.