Recipe by Karamia
This layered casserole is really easy to make and tastes really good. I actually tried it with 1.25 lbs ground turkey breast and it came out very good. Tastes great with a dollop of sour cream on top. Got the recipe for Family Circle magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups salsa (I like mild Pace Picante)
- 6 -8 fajita-size flour tortillas
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Brown beef or turkey in large skillet with onion until cooked through, drain if needed.
- Add chili powder, cumin and salt, and 1 cup salsa, stir and heat through.
- In a medium bowl, mash drained and rinsed kidney beans coarsely. Add 1 cup salsa and stir together.
- In 9x13 pan, layer two tortillas on bottom and fill in sides with pieces of a third tortilla until the bottom of pan is completely covered.
- Layer all of the bean/salsa mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with 2/3 cups cheese.
- Repeat another layer of tortillas.
- Spread ground beef or turkey mixture evenly over tortillas.
- Sprinkle with 2/3 cup cheese.
- Layer last of tortillas and spread with 1/2 cup salsa.
- Sprinkle rest of cheese over.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with sour cream on top, if desired.