1 hr 5 mins
This layered casserole is really easy to make and tastes really good. I actually tried it with 1.25 lbs ground turkey breast and it came out very good. Tastes great with a dollop of sour cream on top. Got the recipe for Family Circle magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups salsa (I like mild Pace Picante)
- 6 -8 fajita-size flour tortillas
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- 3Brown beef or turkey in large skillet with onion until cooked through, drain if needed.
- 4Add chili powder, cumin and salt, and 1 cup salsa, stir and heat through.
- 5In a medium bowl, mash drained and rinsed kidney beans coarsely. Add 1 cup salsa and stir together.
- 6In 9x13 pan, layer two tortillas on bottom and fill in sides with pieces of a third tortilla until the bottom of pan is completely covered.
- 7Layer all of the bean/salsa mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with 2/3 cups cheese.
- 8Repeat another layer of tortillas.
- 9Spread ground beef or turkey mixture evenly over tortillas.
- 10Sprinkle with 2/3 cup cheese.
- 11Layer last of tortillas and spread with 1/2 cup salsa.
- 12Sprinkle rest of cheese over.
- 13Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- 14Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
- 15Serve with sour cream on top, if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Bean Tortilla Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.3
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 89.9 mg
- Sodium 1402.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 34.5 g