Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a family favorite from Taste of Home magazine. You start by making the beef/bean mixture in the crockpot, then you can freeze half and use the rest to make the tortellini soup (makes enough for 2 meals) Once the starter is made the soup takes only about 10-15 minutes to table!!! Super weeknight meal with crusty bread and a green salad!!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic (or Italian Style diced tomatoes)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans
- salt, pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 5 cups beef stock or 5 cups broth
- 1 (16 ounce) packagebird's eye frozen broccoli and corn, blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- For the starter - place the beef, beans (drained), tomatoes and salt/pepper in crock pot - cook for 7-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
- When the starter is done, divide in 2 batches about 5 cups each.
- For the soup - start with 1 batch of the starter in a large stock pot, add the broth, tortellini, frozen veggies, and italian seasoning - bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through and veggies are tender.