Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Crisco cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup salsa, sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup refried beans
- Crisco cooking oil (for frying)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Place ground beef in medium skillet. Brown over medium-high heat. Drain. Remove beef from skillet; set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons Crisco Oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic. Sauté over moderate heat until onion is tender. Stir in ground beef, tomatoes, salsa sauce, chili powder, coriander, thyme, salt, cayenne and cumin. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes, or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in refried beans.
- Heat 2 inches Crisco Oil in deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375ºF. Meanwhile, place 1/2 cup beef mixture in center of each tortilla. Fold opposite sides of tortilla to center over beef mixture. Fold ends toward center; secure with wooden pick. Fry 1 or 2 chimichangas at a time 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle top of each chimichanga with 2 tablespoons Monterey Jack cheese. Serve immediately with salsa sauce, if desired.
- Makes 6 Servings.