Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted to serve 4 from South Beach Diet Online. Phase 1. I eliminated the oil, and added some extra vegetables and seasonings. This is a good base, but I like it a little spicy. Try cayenne, black pepper, and/or hot sauce to heat things up a little.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (medium or hot)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- Use cooking spray on a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and saute beef with 1 teaspoon chili powder over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add green pepper, celery, onion, and garlic to skillet and cook until tender. Return beef to skillet.
- Add tomatoes with juice, salsa, and beans. Bring to boil, then reduce heat.
- While simmering, add Worcestershire and stir in remaining chili powder, cumin, and basil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
We enjoyed this for dinner with some garlic bread. I added 2 tablespoons of chili powder, some crushed red chilies and a teaspoon of dried oregano. I like lots of beans in my chili so I added a can of romano beans then simmered it for about an hour. A nice quick and easy recipe!