Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious, hearty, and reheats well. From Canadian Living magazine.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups kielbasa, diced (about 8 oz.)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 680 ml tomato puree (passata)
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 57 ounces navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion, red pepper and kielbasa until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon and stirring often, until the meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, 1/4 cup water, molasses, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar.
- Stir in the beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Pour into a 13" x 9" baking dish and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- To make the biscuits, whisk together in a bowl the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Drizzle in the buttermilk, stirring just until a soft sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 6 times or just until smooth.
- Roll out into a 10" x 8" rectangle and brush with 1 tablespoon more buttermilk.
- Cut into 12 biscuits.
- Arrange over the casserole and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven until bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown and no longer doughy on the bottom, about 35 minutes.