Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom gave me this recipe. I've changed it slightly (basically to lower the salt content. The nutritional values will not reflect this, but keep in mind if you use the low sodium products it will be less than listed.
- 680.38 g extra lean ground beef or 680.38 g extra lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 793.78 g tomatoes (diced)
- 473.18 ml water
- 3 (850.48 g) can beef consomme (preferably low sodium)
- 283.49 g can tomato soup (preferably low sodium)
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 4.92 ml parsley
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 118.32 ml barley
- Brown beef and onion, drain any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook for a minimum of two hours.
- After browning beef and onion you can also use your slow cooker on low for 7 -8 hours.
Best Beef and Barley Veggie Soup I've had in awhile. I made it for my family and they loved it. Also made it for extended family as well on a rainy day and boy did they appreciate it. I'd recommend to anyone.
I have made this a number of times. The first few times exactly as the recipe is shown. My wife and daughter were very pleased with this recipe as Campbell's Beef & Barley soup is one of their favorites. I thought it to be a little too much tomatoe. The last time I made this I substituted another can of beef consomme in place of the tomato soup, in my opinion it gave the broth more beefy flavor. The wife and daughter agreed this was better. I simmer this in the crock pot on low for about 6-8 hours and as justcallmetoni stated the barley thickend up the broth. Thanks for the recipe.
This is a very good soup. The only change I would make would be to decrease the thyme to about 1/2 teaspoon. I thought the thyme flavour overwhelmed the other flavours a bit. My husband really liked it and said it was a keeper. I did add an additional 2 cups of liquid and it was still very thick and tasty. Thanks for a terrific recipe.