Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
My mother cut this out of the Kansas City Star and stuck it to my fridge, and I'm posting it so I can throw the clipping away! It does look delicious though, and I'll probably try it soon!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grd pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- hot pepper sauce
- salt & pepper
- Brown beef in skillet over medium high heat.
- Place in slow cooker crock and add onion, carrots, potato, parsnip, garlic, pepper, basil, beef broth tomatoes, vegetable juice cocktail and water.
- Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high.
- Stir to break up whole tomatoes.
- Stir in barley and frozen mixed vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, taste and add hot pepper sauce, pepper and salt to taste.