1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
You’re not going to believe how simple this soup recipe is, and what you get as a result – something so unbelievably filling, warming and rich in flavor. Made from a combination of beef, barley, carrots, turnips, potatoes, beef stock and seasonings, this savory soup can be be served not only at lunch but as an easy comort meal any night of the week.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb beef sirloin or 3/4 lb round steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup irish beer
- 1/4 cup barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Wash beef; pat dry with paper towels. Trim away any visible fat; season beef with salt and pepper (to taste). Cut into small bite-sized cubes.
- 2Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan. Transfer the beef to the hot butter and cook over medium heat until brown on all sides.
- 3Add remaining ingredients to saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until barley is tender and beef is fork-tender.
- 4Remove the bay leaf and laddle into warmed soup bowls. Enjoy your soup as a meal complete unto itself or add a lightly-dressed fresh spinach salad and warm crusty french/italian bread.
- 5COOK'S TIP: For a delicious twist on traditional beef and barley soup, when it's done simmering stir in 4 cups of fresh baby spinach. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Barley Soup: Heavenly, Healthy, and Hearty
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.2
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 520.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper