Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I serve as main dish. Freezes well. Funny note, I read that in Russian army if barley was cooked improperly it was called "shrapnel".
- 2 lbs round steaks, 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 bay leaves
- 32 ounces beef stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parsley, chopped
- Heat large soup pot coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Add half of beef, browning on all sides, remove, repeat with remaining beef, remove.
- Add oil to pan, heat over medium high, add onion, sauté until lightly browned.
- Return beef to pot.
- Add carrots, garlic, water, salt, thyme, black pepper, bay leaves, and beef stock.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add barley; cook 30 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Check for additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
This soup is comfort food at it's best. I adapted it for the crockpot and added the pearl barley during the last hour and a half of the cooking time. Served it with cornbread and we were in heaven! Made for the Soups On Challenge - Culinary Quest - Russia, August, 2014.
In adapting this for cooking in the crockpot, I reduced the amount of water to 4 cups. I added the barley with all the other ingredients at the beginning, and cooked this on low for 5 hours. I was rewarded with a total bowl of comfort. Simple flavors, yet hearty and delicious. Made for Soup's On Challenge in Culinary Quest 2014.
Great! I, also, adapted this for the crock pot. This is a keeper! Made for the Soups On Challenge - Culinary Quest - Russia, August, 2014.