Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This hearty soup is a favorite recipe from Mrs Hubert Humphrey, wife of the former Vice President.
Make and share this Beef and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Put meat and soup bone in heavy 3-quart kettle; cover with cold water, about 4 cups.
- Add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring rapidly to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Add carrots, barley, celery and onion; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 ½ hours.
- Remove and discard bone and bay leaves.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to soup.
- Mix in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cube and oregano.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
This soup is delicious. Reminds me of one my grandmother made. The only thing I changed was adding some chopped mushrooms for some of the meat (I didn't have quite enough on hand). I had the privilage of meeting Muriel Humphrey back in the late 60's and this soup is as downhome as she was. Thanks for posting this keeper.