Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This hearty soup is a favorite recipe from Mrs Hubert Humphrey, wife of the former Vice President.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 soup bone
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 medium carrots, pared and sliced
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 pinch parsley
- Put meat and soup bone in heavy 3-quart kettle; cover with cold water, about 4 cups.
- Add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring rapidly to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Add carrots, barley, celery and onion; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 ½ hours.
- Remove and discard bone and bay leaves.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to soup.
- Mix in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cube and oregano.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
I have made this soup twice now and it has been well enjoyed. There are a couple of errors in the directions and listing of ingredients but with soup it is easy to just add what you like or think might be good. I might try adding the tomatoes earlier than the last 1//2 hour of cooking to break them down more. The soup comes out thick and perhaps allowing for the juices of the tomatoes to add to the liquidity might be a benefit.
This soup is delicious. Reminds me of one my grandmother made. The only thing I changed was adding some chopped mushrooms for some of the meat (I didn't have quite enough on hand). I had the privilage of meeting Muriel Humphrey back in the late 60's and this soup is as downhome as she was. Thanks for posting this keeper.