- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck
- 8 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach or 2 cups swiss chard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup kettle, combine beef, water, and bouillon cubes.
- Heat to boiling; skim off foam. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove beef and cut into bite sized pieces, discarding any bone or fat. Return beef to pot.
- Add carrots, onions, celery, barley, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 30-40 minutes, until barley is tender.
- Stir in spinach during last 15 minutes of cooking time.