Recipe by jorgydee
Just plain good comfort food. A bowl of this with a slice of homemade bread and your in heaven. Takes a bit of time to make but is worth the effort.
Top Review by Torachef 1997
I omitted the alphagetti -- used low sodium stewed tomatoes -- but using this basic structure I enjoyed the recipe a lot and will make this again. Thanks so much for sharing!
- 2 -3 lbs beef bones with marrow
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 cups water
- 6 tablespoons of dry beef base (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups mixed small cubed vegetables (carrot, corn, beans, turnips etc.)
- 2 cups small cubed potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can Heinz Alphaghetti, pasta alphabets in tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in stockpot.
- Add soup bones.
- Cook until browned on all sides.
- Add water and garlic.
- Simmer on med/low for 1 - 1.5 hours.
- Remove soup bones from stock, reserve stock.
- Cool soup bones and remove meat.
- Strain stock.
- Return stock and meat to stockpot.
- If more water is needed add now to equal approximately 10 cups.
- Add beef soup base and barley, simmer on med. until barley is almost tender (20 mins.).
- Add remaining vegetables.
- Simmer, covered, until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in can of Heinz Alpha Getti.
- NOTE: To shorten prep. time can use left over beef roast and gravy.
- OPT: Can add 2 cups stewed tomatoes when you add remaining vegetables.