Just plain good comfort food. A bowl of this with a slice of homemade bread and your in heaven. Takes a bit of time to make but is worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs beef bones with marrow
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 cups water
- 6 tablespoons of dry beef base (to taste)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups mixed small cubed vegetables (carrot, corn, beans, turnips etc.)
- 2 cups small cubed potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can Heinz Alphaghetti, pasta alphabets in tomato sauce
- 1Heat oil in stockpot.
- 2Add soup bones.
- 3Cook until browned on all sides.
- 4Add water and garlic.
- 5Simmer on med/low for 1 - 1.5 hours.
- 6Remove soup bones from stock, reserve stock.
- 7Cool soup bones and remove meat.
- 8Strain stock.
- 9Return stock and meat to stockpot.
- 10If more water is needed add now to equal approximately 10 cups.
- 11Add beef soup base and barley, simmer on med. until barley is almost tender (20 mins.).
- 12Add remaining vegetables.
- 13Simmer, covered, until tender.
- 14Remove from heat and stir in can of Heinz Alpha Getti.
- 15NOTE: To shorten prep. time can use left over beef roast and gravy.
- 16OPT: Can add 2 cups stewed tomatoes when you add remaining vegetables.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.5
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 53.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow