Recipe by dicentra
300 Sensational Soups Serves 6
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
I love this recipe. I shredded one-half of the beef for the soup. I am a fan of balsamic vinegar and sweet white onions served many ways. I also reserved some of onions to serve with sautéed mushrooms tomorrow. Thank you for posting.
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut in 2 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 6 onions, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Season beef with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add wine to the pot and scrape up any browned bits in the bottom. Return beef and any juices to the pan. Add stock and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and summer 1 ½ to 2 hours, until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. On baking sheet, combine onions, oil and salt and pepper to taste; toss to coat and spread in a single layer. Roast 45-50 minutes.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons vinegar and roast, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark brown and glazed, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove beef from pot and tear into shreds with two forks. Discard any fat or gristle. Return to pot and add roasted onions, cream and remaining vinegar.
- Simmer 5 minutes. Do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.