Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A tasty meal to make in the crockpot, serve with baked potatoes or mashed potatoes and vegetables. If you have a detatchable crockpot and a grill, when the meat is ready, you can slice a french loaf, spread mustard on one side of each slice, place the mustard side down on the meat and place the meat and slices of bread under the grill to toast on one side.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
- 3 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 8 ounces streaky bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1 pint beer or 1 pint porter (I like to use Guinness)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Toss the stewing steak in the seasoned flour until covered.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the stewing steak until brown.
- remove the meat.
- Gently fry the onion and the garlic until soft and transparent in the remaining oil.
- Return the meat to the pan with the onion and garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Put in the crockpot and cook for approximately 7 hours or until tender.