Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great recipe for chili
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, undrained
- 16 ounces pinto beans, undrained coarsely chopped
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, chopped cilantro. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until crisp. Remove to paper towels with slotted spoon. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the drippings. In drippings, brown ground beef with onion and green pepper; drain. Add reserved bacon and remaining ingredients except optional toppings; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls, top as desired, and serve with additional picante sauce.
This is the best chili I have ever eaten! I tweaked it out slightly because of what I had on hand at the time. I doubled the recipe plus a bit. I used 1 1/3 pound of bacon, 2 1/4 pounds of ground beef. doubled the onions, tomatoes, and beans. However, instead of picante sauce, I used tomato sauce and I doubled that and added an extra 8 oz can. Then I was out of cumin so I just used 2 TBSP of my homemade chili seasoning mix. Then I doubled the salt. Absolutely delish! I am not a fan of spicy chili and this had just enough spice for me. You could always add some crushed red pepper if you like it spicier. It is my new favorite chili recipe!!!!