Prep 18 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from the Diabetes Forecast magazine.
- 1 lb thin-cut round steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into small strips
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup regular chicken broth, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce or 1 (15 ounce) canregular tomato sauce
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts, quarters drained and tough outer leaves removed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 4 ounces penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Sprinkle the round steak with salt (if desired) and pepper, in a 12-inch skillet coated with nonstick spray, cook the round steak over medium heat until browned on all sides, stirring frequently, about 4-5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon, and reserve.
- In the skillet, combine the onion,pepper, oil, and 2 TBSP of the broth, cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, add the tomato sauce and remaining broth, add the artichoke hearts and Italian seasoning, stir to mix well, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 25-30 minutes until meat is tender.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir to mix well, serve from the skillet.