Recipe by Jellyqueen
Now don't ask me why this is called this....I don't have a clue why. It is a recipe I found in a 1970 Women's Day cookbook. I have revised it quite a bit to suit my needs. Nothing real fancy, just good old comfort food. I serve with noodles or rice. Prep time does not include the 5-6 hours the meat needs to marinade in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb cubed steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Put in bowl and pour wine over top.
- Let stand in refrigerator for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove meat from wine and pat dry; discard the wine marinade.
- Sprinkle flour on meat and brown on both sides in the cooking oil.
- Remove meat and pour off fat.
- Add meat back into pan with all remaining ingredients.
- Bring back to a low boil and then turn to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.