Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
courtesy of the National Honey Board, circa 1994...adapted and placed here for safekeeping
- 1⁄2 cup honey (Grade A, light amber)
- 1⁄3 cup butter (Smart Balance brand preferred)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°; grease and flour a 9X5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the honey and the butter with a hand mixer until fluffy; beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl combine all dry ingredients; then add to the honey mixture alternately with the mashed bananas, blending well each time.
- Stir in walnuts; then spoon into the prepared loaf pan; bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; then remove from pan and complete cooling on wire rack.
- Suitable for OAMC use.