1 hr 30 mins
The cooking times are approximately especially for the filling as it may take time for the filling to thicken. This cake looks a little time consuming but it is worth the time amd the effort. I usually make the filling on cream instead of the milk. The cream gives the filling a richer flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Bee Sting Cake Batter
- 354.88 ml plain flour, sifted
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.32 ml butter
- 158.51 ml granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 88.74 ml milk
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml butter
- 14.79 ml milk or 14.79 ml cream
- 14.79 ml full plain flour
- 1Batter: Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C.
- 2Grease and flour a 23cm springform pan.
- 3Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4Cream butter until fluffy.
- 5Gradually add sugar, beating until light.
- 6Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Add vanilla and beat into batter.
- 8Add dry ingredients one-third at a time, alternating with the 6 tablespoons of milk.
- 9Stir ONLY enough to blend.
- 10Pour into springform pan.
- 11Glaze: Heat together almonds, sugar, butter and milk (or cream) until the sugar is disolved.
- 12Pat a spoonful of flour over the top of the cake batter, using the back of a spoon to pat the flour onto the batter.
- 13Pour almond glaze mixture evenly over the batter.
- 14Use the back of the spoon to help you pour the almond glaze mixture evenly over the batter.
- 15Bake the batter for 25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- 16Cool while preparing filling.
- 17Filling: Combine sugar, cornflour and egg yolks into the top of a double boiler.
- 18Separately heat milk to scalding.
- 19Slowly pour the milk over the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly and quickly with a whisk.
- 20Place over hot water.
- 21Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- 22Do not allow to boil.
- 23Stir in almond extract, then remove from the heat and slightly cool.
- 24In the mean time, beat egg whites, adding the salt, and continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 25Fold egg whites into the custard.
- 26Cover with waxed paper and chill in the fridge.
- 27Assembly of the Bee Sting Cake: When the cake has cooled, slice in half horizontally to make two layers.
- 28Place bottom layer cut side up on plate.
- 29Spread this layer with the filling.
- 30Top with the second layer, almond glaze side up.
- 31Refrigerate until time to serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bee Sting Cake
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.5
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 411.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 23.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g