Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
The cooking times are approximately especially for the filling as it may take time for the filling to thicken. This cake looks a little time consuming but it is worth the time amd the effort. I usually make the filling on cream instead of the milk. The cream gives the filling a richer flavour.
Bee Sting Cake Batter
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon full plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 medium egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- 1 pinch salt
- Batter: Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Grease and flour a 23cm springform pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat into batter.
- Add dry ingredients one-third at a time, alternating with the 6 tablespoons of milk.
- Stir ONLY enough to blend.
- Pour into springform pan.
- Glaze: Heat together almonds, sugar, butter and milk (or cream) until the sugar is disolved.
- Pat a spoonful of flour over the top of the cake batter, using the back of a spoon to pat the flour onto the batter.
- Pour almond glaze mixture evenly over the batter.
- Use the back of the spoon to help you pour the almond glaze mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake the batter for 25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool while preparing filling.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornflour and egg yolks into the top of a double boiler.
- Separately heat milk to scalding.
- Slowly pour the milk over the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly and quickly with a whisk.
- Place over hot water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Stir in almond extract, then remove from the heat and slightly cool.
- In the mean time, beat egg whites, adding the salt, and continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the custard.
- Cover with waxed paper and chill in the fridge.
- Assembly of the Bee Sting Cake: When the cake has cooled, slice in half horizontally to make two layers.
- Place bottom layer cut side up on plate.
- Spread this layer with the filling.
- Top with the second layer, almond glaze side up.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.