From Sunset "Cookies" (1985). I have made formatting modifications from the original recipe for clarity but all the steps and ingredients are the same as the cookbook. This is a bar version of the German Bienenstich cakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup almonds, chopped (slivered will also work)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2ALMOND SYRUP: In a small pan, combine all ingredients over medium-high heat. Stir until mixture reaches a rolling boil. Remove pan from heat.
- 3DOUGH: In a mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour,sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- 4Cut butter into pieces and, with a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut into flour mixture until mixture is very crumbly and no large particles remain. Add egg and mix with a fork until dough holds together.
- 5Press dough evenly over bottom of an ungreased 10x15-inch rimmed baking pan. Pour almond syrup over dough, spreading evenly.
- 6Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is deep golden. Let cool in pan on a rack.
- 7Cut into 2-inch squares; for smaller cookies, cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles. (Note: yield is based on number of cookies, not triangles.) Store airtight.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bee Sting (Bienenstich) Bars
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.6
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 136.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g