Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Sunset "Cookies" (1985). I have made formatting modifications from the original recipe for clarity but all the steps and ingredients are the same as the cookbook. This is a bar version of the German Bienenstich cakes.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup almonds, chopped (slivered will also work)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, firm
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- ALMOND SYRUP: In a small pan, combine all ingredients over medium-high heat. Stir until mixture reaches a rolling boil. Remove pan from heat.
- DOUGH: In a mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour,sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- Cut butter into pieces and, with a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut into flour mixture until mixture is very crumbly and no large particles remain. Add egg and mix with a fork until dough holds together.
- Press dough evenly over bottom of an ungreased 10x15-inch rimmed baking pan. Pour almond syrup over dough, spreading evenly.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is deep golden. Let cool in pan on a rack.
- Cut into 2-inch squares; for smaller cookies, cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles. (Note: yield is based on number of cookies, not triangles.) Store airtight.