Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Sunset "Cookies" (1985). I have made formatting modifications from the original recipe for clarity but all the steps and ingredients are the same as the cookbook. This is a bar version of the German Bienenstich cakes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- ALMOND SYRUP: In a small pan, combine all ingredients over medium-high heat. Stir until mixture reaches a rolling boil. Remove pan from heat.
- DOUGH: In a mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour,sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- Cut butter into pieces and, with a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut into flour mixture until mixture is very crumbly and no large particles remain. Add egg and mix with a fork until dough holds together.
- Press dough evenly over bottom of an ungreased 10x15-inch rimmed baking pan. Pour almond syrup over dough, spreading evenly.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is deep golden. Let cool in pan on a rack.
- Cut into 2-inch squares; for smaller cookies, cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles. (Note: yield is based on number of cookies, not triangles.) Store airtight.