1/4 Photos of Bed & Breakfast Scones
Started making these years ago; when oldest daughter was in high school, she'd request these whenever a friend stayed over for the weekend. Serve with Devonshire Cream for Scones, Devonshire Cream for Skinny Scones, Essence of Summer * Raspberry-Honey or your favorite jam with butter. TIME-SAVING TIP: Line up several zip-top, quart-size bags (I do 10 at a time [10 bags = 10 recipes]), then pour in the dry ingredients, then label and store in a cool, dark spot in the pantry. At meal-time, dump one bag into mixing bowl and proceed. This works for pancakes, cornbread and pizza, too! Easy for the kids to whip a batch together, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or more)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (room temp)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
Optional Add Ins (up to a cup)
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/3 cup dried currant (optional)
- 1 cup craisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (optional)
Flavoring of choice (discretion)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon brandy
Topping of Choice (just one)
- 1Preheat oven to 400; set aside a lightly greased baking stone or cookie sheet.
- 2In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in butter to resemble coarse crumbs; select one or more Optional Add-In from the list above (equalling about 1 cup total); make well in the center.
- 3In a measuring cup, mix milk and eggs, pour into well in flour mixture EXCEPT -- reserve about 1 tablespoon of egg-milk; add flavoring of choice.
- 4Stir flour-milk mixture with a fork, it will be slightly dry and rather stiff (add a bit extra milk if it appears "too" dry).
- 5Dump dough onto a floured surface, incorporating any dry crumbs from the bottom of the bowl; knead several times but DO NOT OVERWORK the dough.
- 6Divide into two balls; place one on either end of the baking stone or cookie sheet; pat into an 8-inch disk, about half-inch thick.
- 7Using a pastry brush, spread the reserved egg-milk over the tops of both disks; sprinkle with Topping of Choice covering thoroughly.
- 8With a pizza cutter or big knife, cut each cake into wedges (four large or six small), LEAVE IN PLACE.
- 9Bake for 20-25 minutes (tops will be golden brown); separate wedges and check that dough is "dry" -- if not, pop back in oven & give it 2-3 more minutes; then serve immediately.
- 11LEFTOVER SCONES: as if -- but okay IF you have leftovers, cut horizontally, spread with butter and toast lightly.
- 12GREAT COMBINATIONS:.
- 13chocolate chips with cranberries & brown sugar topping.
- 14chocolate chips with orange zest & orange flavoring.
- 15cranberries with walnuts.
- 16cranberries with apricots.
- 17apricots with nuts.
- 18poppyseeds with lemon flavoring & zest.
- 19cheese with nuts or chocolate chips.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bed & Breakfast Scones
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 140.5 mg
- Sodium 697.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g