I made this for my girlfriend this year for her birthday, and it turned out AMAZING. I was a bit pressed for time, and I wanted a recipe that did not call for any eggs at all. I tried this version and it turned out FABULOUS!! I sometimes use rum for the liquor, but this time I used Kahlua, and I think I like that better, especially if you only have access to strong coffee as opposed to espresso. I do not have an espresso maker so the Kahlua added that extra COFFEE kick that this dessert needs. Cook time is chill time.
For the Syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup espresso or 2⁄3 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua (coffee flavored liquor) or 1⁄4 dark rum
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 lb lady savoiardi (Italian lady fingers)
- cocoa powder or chocolate shavings, for topping
- For the syrup:.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Add coffee and Kahlua (or liquor of your choice).
- For the filling:.
- Whip the heavy cream, vanilla and sugar until soft peaks form.
- fold cream into the softened mascarpone cheese.
- Place a layer of the lady fingers in the bottom of a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Spoon half of the coffee syrup over the lady fingers, making sure they are all evenly coated.
- Spread half of the cheese filling over the layer of lady fingers.
- Repeat another layer of lady fingers, coffee syrup, and remaining cheese filling.
- Use a knife or a flat spatula to spread the top smooth.
- Cover and let sit up to 24 hours before serving. I let mine sit for as little as three hours and it was fine.
- Before serving, dust top with cocoa, or top with shaved chocolate.
This recipe is super simple and super delicious! I appreciate no raw eggs. Kahlua gives wonderful flavor. Hard ladyfingers instead of the softer ones will yield a better result.
Ever since I made this the first time for my daughter's birthday, she has asked for it every year. In addition, every other family member is requesting it to be the birthday cake I make them for their birthday. It is an excellent recipe. It always seems to turn out great.
I made this today, and it was amazing. My daughter cannot have raw eggs, and this was perfect. Just as good (or better) than my favorite restaurants. Thanks for sharing! I posted a pic of mine. Used rum instead of Kahlua.