Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I made this for my girlfriend this year for her birthday, and it turned out AMAZING. I was a bit pressed for time, and I wanted a recipe that did not call for any eggs at all. I tried this version and it turned out FABULOUS!! I sometimes use rum for the liquor, but this time I used Kahlua, and I think I like that better, especially if you only have access to strong coffee as opposed to espresso. I do not have an espresso maker so the Kahlua added that extra COFFEE kick that this dessert needs. Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by coffeebean1964
This recipe is super simple and super delicious! I appreciate no raw eggs. Kahlua gives wonderful flavor. Hard ladyfingers instead of the softer ones will yield a better result.
For the Syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup espresso or 2⁄3 cup strong coffee
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua (coffee flavored liquor) or 1⁄4 dark rum
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 lb lady savoiardi (Italian lady fingers)
- cocoa powder or chocolate shavings, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- For the syrup:.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Add coffee and Kahlua (or liquor of your choice).
- For the filling:.
- Whip the heavy cream, vanilla and sugar until soft peaks form.
- fold cream into the softened mascarpone cheese.
- Place a layer of the lady fingers in the bottom of a shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Spoon half of the coffee syrup over the lady fingers, making sure they are all evenly coated.
- Spread half of the cheese filling over the layer of lady fingers.
- Repeat another layer of lady fingers, coffee syrup, and remaining cheese filling.
- Use a knife or a flat spatula to spread the top smooth.
- Cover and let sit up to 24 hours before serving. I let mine sit for as little as three hours and it was fine.
- Before serving, dust top with cocoa, or top with shaved chocolate.