Recipe by BecR
Crescent rolls, Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage, onions, peppers, salsa and two types of cheese make this a favorite breakfast or brunch dish-- with a Southwest flair! Can be made ahead. Serve warm or at room temperature, accompanied with sour cream and salsa or picante sauce. Deelish!
- 226.79 g can crescent rolls
- 453.59 g bulk pork sausage (Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage)
- 118.29 ml white onion, chopped
- 2 (226.79 g) candiced green chili peppers
- 59.14 ml salsa
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 354.88 ml monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 354.88 ml sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml green onion, chopped
- 44.37 ml cilantro, snipped
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 6-8 eggs
- sour cream, to serve
- salsa, to serve (or picante sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Unroll the rolls and press into bottom of baking dish, sealing perforations and coming halfway up the sides to form a crust.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat, until browned. Add the onions and green chile peppers, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the salsa and garlic powder, and cook, stirring, for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour sausage mixture over the rolls.
- In a large bowl, stir together the two cheeses with the green onions and the cilantro; sprinkle evenly over the sausage.
- At this point you may continue, or cover & refrigerate casserole overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the salt and black pepper; and pour over the top of the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes; remove cover and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature, accompanied with sour cream and salsa or picante sauce.