Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious salad was served at a party and I asked the hostess, Becky, for her recipe. This was from her Grandma. The original recipe called for 16 ounces of spinach (torn), and only 6 slices of bacon. I have listed the recipe as Becky prepared it, she used about 2 1/2 bags of baby spinach and 18 slices of cooked bacon. The salad will get too weepy if left sitting too long, so plan to eat it all right away, this doesn't keep well once the dressing has been added. When I made this, I used a 250 g bag of baby spinach, about 8 strips of bacon, half the dressing, and I still used the 3 eggs.
- 16 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves (2-3 bags, about 6 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 6 -18 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled
- 3 eggs, hard cooked, chopped
- salt, to taste, optional (Becky omitted)
- Chill washed spinach to crisp,(tear spinach into bite sized pieces if using big spinach).
- Combine oil, sugar, vinegar, onion, salt to taste (optional), mustard and blend until syrupy.
- Combine spinach, bacon, chopped egg in a bowl.
- Pour dressing over, let stand 1/2 hour, then toss and serve.
Very good and so simple to make. I did adjust the dressing. It was a little sweet for us, using Splenda. I added an additional 1/4 cup of Safflower oil and another 1 tbls of cider vinegar and it was perfect for our taste. Thanks for sharing. Made for My-3-Chefs :)