I wanted a recipe that would discourage the fleas and soothe my dog's itchy skin. The only recipes I could find online used icky things like dish soap, which will dry a dog's skin. I see this as a base idea for a dog (and people) shampoo. If you don't have some ingredients or think others would be better, switch it around. A few notes: Be sure to grind the oatmeal very well, otherwise you'll be picking out little pieces from your dog's coat. The turmeric is a very healthy, healing herb. However, it's also a bit of a dye. I didn't see this as a problem since both my dog and I have brownish blonde hair. Any lightening or reddening the turmeric did was a plus. But you may not like this. Both the essential oils are known to be good for the coat and bad for fleas. You may want another oil as well as or instead of for a different smell or different effects.
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup dry milk
- 1⁄4 cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons food-grade diatomaceous earth
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 10 drops eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- filtered water
- Put oat meal in a food processor and grind until very fine. If you do not have a food processor, use a coffee grinder or other means to grind it as finely as possible.
- Add dry ingredients to powdered oatmeal: dry milk, corn starch, turmeric, baking soda, diatomaceous earth. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients (except for water): apple cider vinegar, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, coconut oil, olive oil, honey. Mix well.
- Slowly add water until shampoo-like consistency. Start with 1/4 cup and add slowly. Test the consistency with your fingers as well as your eyes.
- Use on dog or people hair. For flea control, you may want to leave on for five minutes before rinsing off. Rinse thoroughly.
- Although none of the ingredients in this recipe need to be refrigerated, I do not know how their shelf life is when combined, so I refrigerate mine.
This is dog tested! After our walk through the woods, in the Maine April muck, we came home to a shower and the Irish Setter and Pomeranian loved this shampoo! They thought it was a snack or a treat! It made it so easy to lather on and rinse off. Thanks, Cleoppa! Made for PAC Spring 2011.