Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is SOOOOOO good. :-) Even if it does have a can of soup, LOL.
- 4 (1 lb) cups elbow macaroni, undercooked in boiling,salted water &,drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (Colman's)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups milk (skim is okay, higher fat is better)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 (8 ounce) cupsgrated medium cheddar
- 2 (8 ounce) cupsgrated colby cheese
- 3 cups plain breadcrumbs, very coarsely grated from a stale loaf of crusty white bread (good country bread is best but if you use store bought crumbs, make sure they are roughly grated, no)
- Combine cheeses together in a bowl.
- Butter OR spray with nonstick spray a 13" x 9" lasagna pan.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a 5-quart pot, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour, mustard, salt,& cayenne.
- Whisk in milk& cream.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the soup and almost 3 cups of the grated cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- Stir in elbows.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Top with remaining grated cheese.
- Combine melted butter and bread crumbs.
- Spread over top of grated cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, just until heated through.
- If the top is not crusty enough, broil briefly-- do NOT over bake.
This is great Mac & Cheese! I highly recommend it. I've made it 3 times now, but this last time I think I've made it just how I like it (sorry, T!). I had a real problem using the cheese soup, not just because I'm a food snob (lol) but because the end dish was too "wet" for me. I like Mac & Cheese to be a bit drier. So I nixed the cheese soup, and added another 8 oz. of cheese - provolone cheese. That was the only change I made. Oh, and I used rotini pasta. It's great mac & cheese no matter which way you make it, though. Very creamy and cheesy. Thanks for posting this, Tracy!
Tasty Mac & Cheese! My mom made great mac&cheese and everytime I'd try to make it,the cheese would seperate and get real oily. That's is why I specifically picked out this recipe - it sounded like one that would stay creamy and gooey - and it sure was! We all loved it.I followed the recipe exactly, but I think the only thing I'd change in the future is to make half a recipe (we're not big leftover fans) and add a little more white pepper for a little more kick. Thanks for the great recipe!
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.