Bechamel Sauce, New Orleans Style
- In a heavy saucepan melt the butter over low hear; do not brown.
- Add the flour gradually, stirring constantly to keep the mixture smooth.
- Do not allow the flour to cook.
- Once all the flour is blended in, gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly with a wire whisk to keep the sauce perfectly smooth.
- Move the whisk around in the pan as your stir to blend the sauce at the bottom and sides.
- Once all the milk has been added, cook over low heat until the sauce thickens, then remove from heat and stir in the Tabasco, salt and nutmeg.
- Blend thoroughly.