Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This sauce is used with some of my lasagna recipes.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Remove from heat and add the flour, stirring briskly so that it is absorbed by the butter and forms a smooth paste.
- Add a little of the milk and stir in well, there is no need to put the pan back on the heat as it will be hot enough to start cooking the bechamel sauce.
- Continue adding a little more milk, gradually blending it with the flour and butter, until you begin to obtain a smooth, even consistency.
- Then return the pan to very low heat and gradually add the rest of the milk, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Stir gently for a first 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Season with salt and pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg.
This is a very simple, but very yummy Bechemel sauce! I love the nutmeg in it - which is commonly omitted these days, and it SHOULDN'T be!!! :) Thanks for sharing!