This recipe is rich and creamy and your family will want more... imagine that, wanting more spinach! :) I believe I originally got this recipe from Sunset magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add flour, and cook, stirring, until it turns a light golden color.
- 2Remove from heat, then mix in the broth and half-and-half.
- 3Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened.
- 4Season to taste with salt and nutmeg.
- 5Wash the spinach well, drain slightly, place in a 5- to 6-quart pan over low heat, cover, and cook in the water that clings to leaves until wilted (3-4 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- 6Drain well and chop.
- 7Combine spinach and bechamel sauce and serve.
- 8Makes 4 servings.
- 9Note: recipe has been revised since the "not enough sauce" review, reducing the amount of spinach by half.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bechamel Creamed Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.8
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 238.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g