Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is rich and creamy and your family will want more... imagine that, wanting more spinach! :) I believe I originally got this recipe from Sunset magazine.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add flour, and cook, stirring, until it turns a light golden color.
- Remove from heat, then mix in the broth and half-and-half.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and nutmeg.
- Wash the spinach well, drain slightly, place in a 5- to 6-quart pan over low heat, cover, and cook in the water that clings to leaves until wilted (3-4 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Drain well and chop.
- Combine spinach and bechamel sauce and serve.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Note: recipe has been revised since the "not enough sauce" review, reducing the amount of spinach by half.
Very good taste and texture: a perfect basic bechamel spinach recipe. Thanks for posting!
Nice basic creamed spinach highlighted by a sprinkling of nutmeg. We enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Don't know why this needs a second chance ---my daughter makes wonderful spinach crepes with this recipe.