Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Becca of Byron..my sister in law...shared this recipe with us. It is DELICIOUS! I love it...and hope that you will give it a try. If you like foods from the deep South, you will love this Georgia "Mater Pie" recipe.
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise, mixed together
- salt & pepper
- In a 350 degree oven, bake pie shell for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Then-- Layer the sliced tomatoes in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Sprinkle salt& pepper to taste.
- Crumble bacon on top of tomatoes.
- Spread the cheese& mayonnaise mixture on top.
- Cook in 350 degree oven for another 35-40 minutes until cheese is melted and browned.
Wow! This was great! After reading the other reviews, I made a few tweaks. I cooked the bacon and sauteed half an onion. I also made extra of the cheese and mayo mixture and added Italian seasoning and pepper to it. I put one layer of (drained and patted dry) tomatoes in the pre-baked shell, then half of the bacon and onion mix and about a quarter of the mayo/cheddar mix. Then I put the second layer of tomatoes on top followed by the rest of the bacon and onions then topped with the mayo and cheddar. Baked for 30 minutes. DH ate probably HALF of this pie in one sitting.
I have made this recipe quite a few times. My brother gave it to me years ago. The only changes I have are: we layer the tomatoes then mayo/cheese mix and bacon making 2 layers, ending with mayo mix and bacon then sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top. Be sure to salt and pepper the tomatoes. It it also good with chopped fresh basil mixed in with mayo. Sandy
I have been making this recipe for years... It is a summer classic for me now. There are NEVER any leftovers. I saute onion and garlic and layer that on the tomatoes and then some fresh basil chopped. YUM