Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rich, chocolatey, moist three layer cake with a wonderful cream cheese and pecan frosting. This particular recipe came from my paternal grandmother around 1970. I do not know where she got it from.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooking oil
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (2 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 10 pecan halves
- Beat oil and sugar together till creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Mix cocoa together with red coloring and the 2 teaspoons vanilla then add to the oil and sugar mixture beating well.
- Mix in flour and buttermilk alternately a little of each at a time.
- Add salt and soda and mix well.
- Pour equal amounts into 3 eight inch cake pans that have been prepared with shortening and a light dusting of flour.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or till cake layers are done in the center.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
- Cream together butter, confectioners sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract and the chopped pecans, using an electric mixer.
- Frost layers of cake.
- Artfully arrange the remaining pecan halves on top of cake.
- Allow to set for at least one hour before cutting cake.