1/1 Photo of Beba's Norwegian Waffles
This is my great-grandmother's waffle recipe. I think there are several floating around the family, but this is the one that my parents had. It makes a lot of waffles, so unless I'm cooking them for some sort of event of get together I often cut the recipe in half or save some of the batter in the refrigerator to make some fresh ones in the next day or two. We never eat Norwegian waffles like regular waffles. Sometimes we eat them in the morning, but usually they are made as a dessert or for when people come over for coffee, for a snack, etc. Also, we never eat them with syrup. They are always eaten with some combination of butter, sugar and jam (raspberry, lingonberry). Usually I just eat them plain. At my husband's request, I use 1 tsp. cardamom as well as 1 tsp. vanilla, but you could use only the cardamom or only the vanilla if you have no cardamom. I never make them without cardamom- I think that's the best part! *the servings number listed is a guess- I've never counted! I'll have to update it. The cooking time is also a guess because it depends on your waffle maker. I guessed 30 minutes if you made all of the waffles. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk eggs, sugar and butter (I use my Kitchen Aid).
- 2Add vanilla, cardamom, baking powder, salt and milk and mix.
- 3Thicken gradually with flour.
- 4Cook in waffle iron until golden brown. The waffle iron that should be used is one that makes thin, heart shaped waffles, like the Villaware heart waffle maker. However, you could probably use anything that's not a Belgian waffle maker.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beba's Norwegian Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.0
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 185.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g