1/2 Photos of Beautiful Seeded Buttermilk Bread.
4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Um Safia's Note:
I make my own buttermilk so have a constant supply & am always looking for interesting ways to use it. Here I have come up with a lovely soft, delicately flavoured bread which is good for eating fresh with jam or with your dinner, as toast or as sandwiches - it is extremely versatile & slices well. The addition of the honey & the seeds makes it just that bit healthier too!
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 12 g fast action dried yeast (2x6g sachets)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm fresh cultured buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons natural honey, warmed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 6 cups strong white bread flour
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- flour, for dusting & kneading
- seeds or sea salt, to decorate
- 1Mix the water, sugar & yeast together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the buttermilk, melted margarine, warmed honey, the salt & 3 cups of the flour. Mix well with your hands or a large spoon.
- 3Slowly add the rest of the flour until you have a workable dough. Depending on the weather & your altitude, you may need a little extra flour.
- 4Knead the dough for 30 minutes, until it is soft (but still firm), smooth & no longer sticky.
- 5Dust lightly with flour & place inside a large, clean plastic bag. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- 6When doubled, remove from the bag & lightly knead to deflate to dough. Once you've done this, grease a large bread tin - I like to use a spring-form 12" x 4" round cake tin with margarine. Place the dough in the tin & gently push out until it fills the tin evenly.
- 7Cover again with the plastic bag & leave to double in size.
- 8When doubled, brush the exposed dough with the beaten egg yolk & sprinkle your choice of seeds of sea salt over the top.
- 9Place on the middle shelf of a 180c pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- 10Remove from the oven when cooked and allow to cool completely - takes around 4 hours - before eating / slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Seeded Buttermilk Bread.
Serving Size: 1 (1233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3422.4
- Calories from Fat 479
- Total Fat 53.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 194.8 mg
- Sodium 7436.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 631.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.6 g
- Sugars 49.6 g
- Protein 97.1 g